Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Indonesia - Ubud Bali

My first trip to Bali is for work. This is not the first time when work is also fun! We were in Bali for an inaugural leadership meeting from May 17-20 at Maya Ubud Resort and Spa; a heaven of tranquility set amidst the verdant hills of Ubud, Bali.

Every morning at 7.30am, we gather at the lush green garden to participate in yoga exercises with the resort’s yoga master. The short exercise was so refreshing and I was immediately transported back to my “kampong” where I grew up, at peace with nature, with the sound of birds and insects in the background. Other recreational and cultural activities offered includes tennis, swimming, golf putting green, nature treks and cycling in the beautiful surrounding country side.

The resort has an infinity swimming pool, overlooking the lush tropical forest and Petanu River. The poolside was so serene, a great spot for my colleague, Leong to take his “power nap” after lunch! You can also relax and be pampered in the riverside spa, watch traditional cultural performances (on certain night) or perhaps take painting lessons in the nearby village, all of which, I do not have the time to do because of tight meeting schedule! I had to remind myself that I'm here for work 

I fell in love with the décor in the hotel. Even the toilet in our meeting room! I took pictures of it and the garden outside our meeting room as I would love to recreate the same look and feel for my home. Planning to renovate your house? Yes! You have come to right place - Bali is definately the place for home improvement inspirations, unique furnitures and home decors.

My sister reminded me to try dirty duck and pork ribs while in Bali. My first night’s dinner was at Bebek Tepi Sawah Restaurant (the name Tepi Sawah is Balinese words, which means side of the rice field) to have my first Bebek Bengil (fried crispy duck). For starter, I was served satay in a unique charcoal grill. The satay taste like the ones back home except for the sauce which is less sweet.

On the second night, our group went to the famous Dirty Duck Diner, an outdoor garden restaurant, featuring lotus ponds, large elephant leaf plants, statues and a beautiful rice field view from all around. It was first opened in 1990 and has since been serving delicious foods and providing good services in a friendly, comfortable and relaxed atmosphere. Check on dirty duck but no pork ribs as we have Muslims in our group 

Ever wonder how the name “Dirty Duck Diner” came about? Here's the story…when the owners were building the restaurant, they have thought long and hard about the name for the restaurant. They wanted a Balinese name that translated well into English. Many good suggestions came from friends, but none seemed just right. One tropical monsoon morning, when the restaurant was very close to being finished, a flock of ducks from the rice field across the road ran quacking and squawking into the restaurant and across the floor and tables. They left muddy webbed footprints all over the place. They were the restaurant’s first guests - those dirty ducks, thus the name Dirty Duck Diner!

Want to know who had dined in Dirty Duck Diner? Do the names like Mike Jagger, Sting, Chow Yun Fatt, Mrs. Megawati Sukarno Putri and Mr. Bambang Yudhoyonon ring a bell? Yes! They had dined in the restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment